Tuesday, September 11, 2007

the grief of a bite.

So, I have this massive, and when I say massive, I mean, like, slightly larger than a baseball sized bug bite on the back of my left calf. And let me tell you, it has caused more grief than any bite ever should. It all started Sunday night when Sarah, Casey Jo and I were playing this game called Famous with 4 girls that live above us and three guys from our ward. We had the front door open because it was so stinkin hot (again, the lack of air conditioning in our apartment is thoroughly frustrating) and of course, a mosquito ("freaking huge moth" as Casey Jo claims) flew in. Casey Jo had it within reach, and not really thinking she could, caught it, and then disgusted, threw it back into the air. And it was still alive... none of us really thought anything of it until I felt a little pinch on the back of my leg... I've always had bad experiences with bugs, so I groaned as I looked down and brushed the bug off. Little to my surprise, Monday morning I woke up with a golf-ball-sized reaction on the back of my leg. All day, I tried to resist scratching and did pretty good... I applied hydrocortisone anti-itch cream all day and did my best.
This morning, I woke up around 8 and started scratching my leg, while still in bed, totally delirious, forgetting what my problem was. Then I looked at it, and again, groaned at the baseball-sized, red and puffy bite. Hannah (my roommate, in case you forgot) said she had some stuff that would take care of it, so I put some on and tried to use all of my self control to just lay on my bed and not think about it.
Then I heard my phone vibrating on my desk. I looked at the number and didn't recognize it, and decided that it was best to not be distracted during my focused non-scratching time, and therefore did not answer. About a minute later, it said I had a message, so I listened to it and this is what it said.

"Hey pretty lady. I can't believe you're not answering your phone. This is Elder Garrard. Right now I'm at the Salt Lake air port. It's almost 8:30. We fly out in a little more than 2 hours. Um, I really wish I could have talked to you. I'll probably call you back before we leave, so, yeah. I'll talk to you later. Bye."

So... yeah. Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off at myself, but more so at the freaking retarded mosquito. I waited for two hours... postponed not only my shower, but even going to the bathroom, but no call. My mom called and I started crying to her about it... a lot of good that did. but hey, there's always Christmas, right? Anyways. That was my morning. I tried to get some homework done, but I wasn't really focused. ah, my life is so great right now.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the call. I KNOW that was disappointing.

Erin said...

Ohhhh, that's so so so so sad!!! I feel so sorry for you! I wish so bad he would have tried calling back! Stinker! That makes for a serious bummer of a day. Well, we will look forward to seeing you on Christmas. Maybe he called you on his layover???

barlows said...

Alrighty, I just wanna know why I didn't get a call? Oh wait, because he loves you and wanted to hear your voice, too. You should write him a letter with your pretend conversation in it from the phone call. Hang in there and take care of all the things that bite (bugs, missed phone calls, etc.) with chocolate :) Love ya. PS. DO NOT SEND ME ANY MONEY or we'll be fighting.