Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The results are in.

So today was the big day (well, a big day in a series of big days that I'm sure I'll go through here at BYU). I had a music 101 test covering the "Classical Era." After cramming as much information on Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven as I possibly could, I walked knowingly to the almost overwhelming doom that awaited me at the Heber J. Grant building (aka, the TESTING CENTER). I called my dad on the way (as I always do), told him my predicament and asked him to pray. Pray that somehow, Heavenly Father would be gracious enough to bless me, the procrastinating college student, with the knowledge I knew I didn't have. When I picked up my test and paid my late fee of $5 (why do they charge late fees on the last day of the test? Because they are Nazi's!) (Only I don't really believe that, I just severely dislike the idea of paying to take a test for a class that I've already paid for. I'm sorry), they told me to finish the second half first and then to come back because all of the MP3 players that are needed for the first half/listening portion of my test were being used. So I said my own prayer, did the second half, then went back to get my MP3 player where I realized there were 10 other people waiting there in my same situation. So I waited in line for about 15 minutes, got my MP3, and answered 22 of the 25 questions when my MP3 froze. I tried play/pause, power on/off, nothing. So, I had to go back and get another one to finish my last three questions. And the whole thing was annoying because I knew I was failing the dang test that I had paid $5 to take. Normally, I would only check my score if I knew I got an A or if I knew I failed (occasionally I surprise myself). If there's even a hope of my passing, I don't look because it's almost always lower than I think it is. Or I fail. And who needs that ruining their day? Not I. Anyways, I knew I had failed, so I looked to see how bad it was. 74%. As in 74% out of 100%. Not only is that passing, but that's a good passing compared to thinking I had failed for sure. Smile upon my face, (I'm easy to please as far as grades go) I took a water/ladies room break and then sat down to prepare for my Book of Mormon quiz covering Helaman-3 Nephi 11. I ate my Yoplait Orange Creme Yogurt and my Strawberry Nutri-Grain bar (because a college brain doesn't work very well when it doesn't have any nutrients supporting it, or when there's a growling stomach distracting it) and sat down to answer the remaining study questions. About 2 hours later, I had finished reading and reviewing all of the material that would be covered and I headed in, feeling fairly confident that I could take it for free today vs. paying to take it tomorrow (which I didn't have time to do anyways). About 15 minutes later, I walked out and checked my score (still fairly confident, you see,) and a 92%. Hoo-Rah for me! I walked home in a much more pleasant attitude than I had walked to campus with earlier that day despite the biting wind that was freezing my face and the hand that was holding my phone telling my dad the news.

I've given up on Lent. I discovered there wasn't really a point anymore. I wasn't losing weight (not like I expected the pounds to just fall off or something,) and I was consuming more supplemental sweets in non-chocolate form than I otherwise would have. Plus, I still have tons of chocolate from my birthday, and birthday Chocolate milk that would have gone bad had it been neglected for too much longer. So, yesterday after waking up from a 4 hour nap (yeah, I probably should have been studying for that music test...) and saw that Sarah had just made chocolate chip cookies that were sitting oh-so-lovely and warm on the oven, I made the swift decision to drop it. But this much I will say, I did lose a lot of my cravings and I developed a lot of self control during my choco-free month. So my over all crap-consumption rate should go down. "Should" being the key word there.

Tomorrow I'm going to observe at the BYU pre-school for my FofDAP class, and then head on over to Farrer Elementary to Tutor the lovely children of Ms. Tomlinson's 3rd grade class during their reading hour. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

4 comments:

Gabe said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed yours as well. Congrats on the test scores!

Chris said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who refuses to look at my score when I leave the TC.

The Sorensens said...

WHY did you have to mention chocolate chip cookies? I have been talking myself out of making them throughout my entire dinner here, (and yes I'm eating in front of the computer) and you have to mention them in your blog. I've got a primary lesson to prepare! Pshwa to cookies!

By the way, good job on your tests.

Danny said...

I like ya' new blog!