Monday, March 10, 2008

Defeating Death

You'll notice I haven't posted in a few days... (despite my 100-posts-by-one-year-mark) well, that's because I spent the weekend on deaths door. Or not, but my story will sound much more adventurous from that perspective so, just go with it.
Update on my health; Thursday, I was supervising women’s basketball and it was going ridiculously slow and I told the participants I was sick so they’d be nice to me. There was a forfeit my second hour so I laid down on the other court behind the supervisor’s table and the refs said they would look out for me. I don’t know if I ever actually fell asleep cuz I was on the wooden floor and I could feel everyone running and the balls bouncing and my head was pounding… oh wow. I was lying on the floor… (Sigh) when I’m sick, my awareness of sanitation goes out the window… Anyways, third hour, there was this punk of a husband who got on my back for missing ONE point when I was explaining how to keep score to the scorekeeper, and when I asked all of the spectators to go to the stands (they’re not supposed to be on the court for “safety reasons”) the husband didn’t go. So I turned around and asked him if he was planning on going to the stands and he said, “Are you planning on keeping track of the score? Cuz you already messed up on that one.” And in my head I was like, “Oh no you didn’t!! I am sick and I was busy at the time the shot was made and I put it on the scoreboard about 4 seconds after it was made, so you can GET OFF MY BACK OR GET OUT OF MY GYM! But as Phil (my boss) always says, “no one can misinterpret silence” so I turned around and ignored him. About 10 seconds later, when he hadn’t left, I turned around and gave him a “you’re still here” look until he turned around to go to the stands. I was seriously bugged. So I basically hated on that team for the rest of the game. In my head. It’s not like I jacked their score or anything. Anyways, 4th hour there was a forfeit so I packed up to go. Oh, in the gym, I was wearing 5 layers, the outermost 2 were a sweater and my heavy coat and I was still freezing. Lame. So when I walked outside to put the stuff away in the RB, my vision started blacking out around the edges and I started freaking out, but I just kept telling myself that I’d be warm in the RB soon.
When I finally got home, I walked in the door and just started crying because I was so miserable and Sarah came running after me asking what was wrong and I told her everything and she felt my face and said we should take my temperature. So we did. 103.0 my friend. Heck yes. By then, Natalie had come in and they started freaking out at calmly as possible (ironic?) saying things like, “oh my gosh, do we need to take her to the hospital?” so I started freaking out less calmly of course, (I don't think my head was in the right place) and I called my mom and told her and then I sensed the panic in her voice and I really started freaking out and she told me to calm down and take a cool shower to try and bring the temperature down. So I did and bawled the whole time and when I got out my Aunt, Tammy, who’s a nurse, was calling me and she told me what to do/take and all that good stuff. Then Sarah’s boyfriend, Tate, and Natalie’s friend Matt gave me a blessing and then Tate and Sarah went to the grocery store to get me some Tylenol and Vicks vaporub and ice cream (to bring down my temperature, of course…) and picked up No Reservations from red box. That’s a good one. I enjoyed it. Anyways, I went to sleep sometime around 1, woke up at 10:30, went to the bathroom, drank some water (Nurse Tammy told me I was dehydrated) and then went back to sleep and woke up at 3:30. I had 9 missed calls so I checked my messages and called everyone.
I relaxed all friday, started writing back to Mike's last letter from my birthday package, painted my nails, and watched The labyrinth. (wow...) I wasn't going to eat except for that I realized I hadn't eaten anything all day because I wasn't hungry, so I made some soup and ate that...
Moral of the story; I defeated death. And a moronic husband who seriously bugged.
SMILE!

8 comments:

Bekah said...

isn't 103 really dangerous for adults? I'm glad you are feeling better. Mark had a bad fever once, and I made him take a really cold bath because I thought it would bring his fever down. He was shaking like a leaf the entire time. Afterwards, I googled cold bath and fever and every site said, "do not put them in a cold bath". I felt so bad! So, I hope your shower didn't make it worse

Chris said...

That dude is lucky I wasn't working on your court or he would have had some issues (ie me) to deal with.

Beth said...

There are some seriously over zealous athletic men in this church who really shouldn't even play, because they don't get the "I'm trying to be like Jesus" concept when sports are in the picture. Maybe that should be played on the loudspeaker the entire time they're playing...So sorry you were sick and glad you're better. It had to be viral since it passed so quickly. But, it stinks to be fevered like that. And, good job on passing the tests!

Brandi Lyn said...

Thank you for your sweet comment :) We are so excited. So was the verdict dehydration?? I was in the hospital a week or so ago and i was vomiting, passing out, temp was high, and had unbearable headaches. They even did a spinal tap on me! And it all turned out to be a terrible case of dehydration. It's rediculous how something as simple as drinking water can screw you up so bad! I hope you're feeling better!

barlows said...

I'm glad you survived! It does feel quite dramatic at the moment, huh, and then when you're in the right mind it seems a little silly to have been so worked up.

Shelley said...

Hooray for defeating death! Sorry you had such a crappy day, but it's awesome that you have so many people to take care of you!

Brianne & Jarod said...

Hey Julina...

I only saw a couple of students...Erin and Hanes...Linda ugh..forgot her last name...and smiled at a few more. Last year would have been a better year to visit because lots of the volleyball girls were seniors!

Reading this post made me miss BYU. I spent the last 2 YEARS of my college life going back and forth from the Smith Field House and Richards Building..good times..good times. (way to keep your cool, with the annoying students...)

and last but not least...if you feel like cutting your hair...I say DO IT!!!

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.