Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"I should probably blog something..."

yup, that's what I just said after reading up on everyone else's blogs. Congratulations to Nate and Stacy, I'm really happy for you guys.

So last post I said I'd tell you a bit about my chosen major. Well, last Monday, I was going to the McKay building with Casey Jo because she's planning on majoring in Elementary Education and while we were waiting, I pulled out some brochures. I found myself interested in one of them so I signed in so I could talk to a counselor, (not thinking it would even be possible because upon mentioning it to my mom, she said that that major was pretty competitive.) When I was called back, I started out by saying, "I've heard this is a pretty competitive major to get into..." at which point my counselor interrupted, "Oh no, not really, about 90% of our applicants make it into the program." So we logged into my account to see what I would have to do to raise my GPA and what pre-reqs I'd have to take and whatnot and after about half an hour, I left her office feeling very very optimistic and finally settled on...

EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION! (ECE)
Basically, it's about a 2 (2 1/2 for me) year program that, once I get a teaching degree, will allow me to teach k-3. And after somewhat choosing 3 or 4 other major/occupational choices that I never felt very settled or sure about, I feel really good, like this is SO right for me. I definitely feel like Heavenly Father is... I can't think of a more reverent way to put this, but... is smacking me upside the head saying, "duh! why didn't you think of that before?!" This is one of the very few times where I've had a feeling this sure and I'm SO grateful to finally have it. Yay!

This last week, I made two batches of no-bakes with some vague intentions of sending some of them to Mike, but they never made it past a few hours. I have no excuse for my apartment of 6 girls.

The un-healthy vending maching in the Widstue building ate $2 of mine. Then, when I tried to buy a V-8 Splash, I got a regular V-8. Goo. If that's what I get for trying to be un-healthy in the first place, then I'm doomed.

Hannah and I have decided to road-trip down to Vegas this weekend. I have to renew my drivers license and it's Dan Lee's Mission farewell. We've decided to study for our Music 101 test that will be Wed-Fri of next week while driving down. It sounds boring, but we have big plans!

Did I even tell you guys my schedule for this semester? Here it is!

MWF at 11 I have Music 101 with Hannah. I'm liking it a lot so far. We'll see how I feel about it after the first test.
MW at 1 I have the 2nd half of Book of Mormon. I LOVE my professor, he's really good and really entertaining at the same time- a good thing for an in-depth course like BoM.
MWF at 3 I have Biology, which I failed last winter, but since I'm taking it from a completely different professor with a completely different curriculum, and Casey Jo and Sarah are in it with me, I'm feeling like I'm going to do really well. Get this; there's no textbook and no tests or quizzes. Our grade is based on 8 short research papers of our choosing. We just have to prove it's relevance to biology. I'm so excited.
Monday from 4:30-6:10 I have Foundations of DAP. Don't really know what it is yet, but it's a pre-req. for ECE, so I'm taking it. The teacher is really nice, wants us to call her Dodie, and the only thing I need to do so far is a symbolgram. Iiiiiit's gonna be a good class.
TTh I have Life Planning and Decision Making which I was originally planning on taking to help me decide on a major, but after the 2nd class period, I had that one figured out. Talk about effective, eh? It's still a good class though; small with LOTS of class discussion.
Sooo basically, that's it. Pretty chill schedule, but hopefully I get my GPA up and focus on what needs to be done to get into the ECE major. I know I'm going to have to do some observing at different levels of schools, but the plan is to try and get that done during the summer, so not a lot to worry about right now.

Also, my apartment has decided to participate in Lent. I've decided to give up chocolate. I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't ingest some in one way or another. I do, however, get a break on my birthday (march 1st). Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Lent???? I think thats really funny, from a former Lenter! Good choice on the major, too. And, it should help so much when you have your own family. There was SO much I learned when I took my one and only ECE class, too late to use on my own kids. I wished I had taken one long ago. I hope we get to see you this weekend. Call us on Saturday!

barlows said...

Okay, that's so funny. My only year at BYU I totally gave up chocolate for Lent. It was really successful. I know you posted this forever ago, but I am just checking in! Love ya still :)