Thursday, May 24, 2007

a trip to the dentist

Preface
Here is an apology to all those who are not as fortunate as I.
I am so sorry.

and yet again... I am awesome. It's that simple. I have never had a cavity, and today I still don't. How great is that?! Anyways, some people have a huge fear of the dentist, but I've always assumed those people to have bad teeth. And this is why; If you've never had a bad experience there, why would you fear it? And why would you have a bad experience if you had good teeth? See how that all works out? And then there are those, (such as myself,) who have had a bad experience, and still are the utmost icon of bravery.

Now, I know I am dooming myself to a world of people staring at my front tooth, but if you've never noticed, it is chipped... fixed, but chipped all the same. And you can tell because it is ever so slightly discolored. So here's the story behind it. Once upon a time, before Julina knew she was allergic to cats, she asked for one for Christmas. She got a bike instead. Christmas day, Julina went out to learn how to ride that bike at Gene Ward Elementary school. Julina ran into a pole. Twice. The second time, she chipped half her front tooth off and had to get it fixed at the dentist. Julina has since re-chipped her front tooth on a wooden rocking horse, a mike-and-ike(?), another pole, and Karalyn's forehead. Each time, the dentist has nicely put me back together again. Now, if you ever ask to see it, I will politely answer, 'no,' so let's all save ourselves some awkwardness and avoid doing so. (at best, you can try and steal yourself a look when someone tells a really funny joke and I'm laughing or something.) Basically, the dilemma here is whether I should leave it as is, (except re-doing it to fix the color issue,) or should I cap it? I've heard caps can sometimes give people issues because of sensitive gums, but that's like a one-in-a million chance... something like that. But then again, if I leave it as it is, it will need to be replaced every few years to keep it looking good. Or I can let it look however it wants to. forever. And let's face it, I won't be on my parents insurance forever. They're willing to pay whatever, just as long as I'm happy with it. (great parents, aren't they?) (also, I didn't even bring up my teeth, changing it was all my mom's idea... kinda makes me wonder if she thinks it looks bad or something...) So, anyone with any advise/experience/preferences on the subject?

Now I'm off to the grocery store. I'm making dinner tonight. Broccoli potato cheese soup. Easy, but SO good. ok! wonderful! bye!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Seriously, milk the parents' insurance as much as you can! Cap that tooth, or get a veneer, or whatever. But when you're poor and newly married (or been married 10 years & still poor), the last thing you'll want to worry about is having to fix your tooth again! And yes, I do hate you for never having a cavity! That's not even fair. And yes, I HATE the dentist. I'd rather give birth than have anything done at the dentist [yes, that sounds extreme, but I have had 4 very easy, very great deliveries, and at least there is a much better reward at the end of giving birth than just a big fat bill & a reminder to floss!]...

Stac said...

I say get the cap. I had some costmetic stuff done on my teeth when I graduated and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and Erin is right...Get it while you can. My parents paid for mine too and now that I have to pay for things myself I want to get some more stuff done and can't afford it. Go for it. It can only make you happier. What do you have to loose? and just so you know, cavities aren't that bad because when you get them filled you get that fantastic gas! It's great but I too would rather give birth than go to the dentist!

The RealFatman said...

Here here on the milk the parents while you can cause honey that is almost over and you will forever miss those days. I say just get it pulled your cute enough that no one will notice that your missing a front tooth. Okay just kidding I agree with Erin get a veneer!!

Beth said...

I'm 51 and would rather have a baby than a bad dentist experience! And I've had a doosie. Hence my fear. But, Nitrous gas and novacaine gets me through. Here' a thought...I'm missing a front tooth. One never came in. I only have 3 between my eye teeth. Will I have a full set after the Resurrection?