Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I thought I had appendicitis

My lower right abdomen has been pretty tender the past couple of days and I was talking to some friends about it and they thought it might be the beginnings of appendicitis. All I knew about appendicitis is that you have to have your appendix removed.

What does your appendix do anyways?

But if it's such a big deal that you have to have something removed, I figured I'd look up on it. So I did. On Wickapedia. And it basically said if you ignore it, your appendix explodes and the poison it releases kills you. "So," I thought to myself, "this might be one of those times where a call to the health center could be beneficial." I finally got myself talking to a nurse and she said that what I was describing could be appendicitis but it might not be, but that it's always better to be safe than dead. I agreed. So over to the urgent care of the student heath center I went, with Jacey, for moral support. The doctor decided, after some poking around, that I should go to the lab and take a urine test and a blood test, neither of which I have ever done before, so that was pretty exciting. When the blood extractor guy found out I had never had blood taken before, he leaned back and told the lab receptionist lady, "hey we have a virgin here!" ah... BYU jokes, they're always so clever. Anyways, since I had never had it done before, he was explaining everything and had me feel my "rippling veins," (always a good sign when you know they won't have to go searching) and then I sat and watched as he sucked it all out. I really can't understand why that's so hard for some people, but there you have it. At least I know I don't have a phobia of needles or my own blood. Then Jacey and I went back to the urgent care waiting room and about half an hour later the doctor called me back in. He sat explaining what I didn't have for about 10 minutes and then took another 15 on what I did have which is some other kind of -itis. He prescribed some kind of anti-inflammatory that I should take with food and where I can't lay down for half an hour afterwards.

So we were there for about 2 1/2 hours... I missed my volleyball class, which stinks. That's one of the few classes I actually enjoy going to... psh. Whatever. But at least I'm not going to die from the poison of a ruptured appendix. That's always a good thing.

8 comments:

Beth said...

SO good. Besides, dying from a ruptured appendix now would not be good timing. You want to do that BEFORE the semester starts, not right at the end!! And, missing Christmas would be bad.

Julina said...

so true. I would hate to miss Christmas. And to die now after all the "hard work" I've put into this semester... psh, what a waste of MY time.

familyof4 said...

I'm glad you are OK! Quick story..Chris had to have his appendicitis taken out with emergency surgery. He REFUSED to see a doctor when he was feeling sick and when started getting REALLY sick he finally went to the Urgent care..he then got rushed by ambulance to have surgery because his appendicitis were just about to burst! This was 3 years ago!

Loralee said...

You poor thing...I have to pee in a cup every time I go to the doctor. What's with all the scary health problems?! I miss you.

Ana Lee said...

Gotta love the BYU Health Center, that place is a joke! They are only helpful half of the time. I'm glad you are ok! I hope you are enjoying your break!

Love,
Ana Lee

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The most impοrtant challenges I've with abx procedure with strep are: one. Docs usually give without culturing 2. Abx are held hostage by docs wanting to make a buck. My household does not have insurance, so when we've got sore throаts with low to
no grаԁe fever, we juѕt have to wait
arounԁ іt out. I сan't afford $120 per household member being tested. There should be OTC tests and then, meds could be released. I can not tell you how quite a few moments we'ѵe been within
a ԁoc officе for аround 10 min exam and then left that has a $300 bill for three men and women.
It really is οutrageous.

Here іs my blog :: what Helps a sore throat hot or cold

Anonymous said...

Magnіficent site. Plenty οf helpful information hеre.

I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you to your effort!

Feel free to surf to my weblog tetris battle hack,