Tuesday, March 27, 2007

inspired by the Garrards!

ok, so it's 1:15 in the morning in lovely Provo town. Mike introduced me to his sister's blogs and I've been reading them every once in a while. Including tonight. It was just one of those nights here. I was trying to catch up on some Strenthening Marriage and Family reading, but despite my attempts to load up on sugar (in the form of starbursts) I was still falling asleep. So onto the computer... it's my normal solution for most problems here. It's actually a really interresting class, my favorite so far, but when I'm laying in bed on a heating pad (to try and lessen the back pain,) sleep just comes... I should probably get used to it though, from what I've heard from ALL mothers, it doesn't get any better until they're all grown up and moved out. From late night/early morning feedings and diaper changes to waking up your high school teens so they can finish their homework, it's gonna be a life long endeavor. And by the time they've moved out, you've probably gotten used to living on 4 hours of sleep, if that. Eh. oh well.

So, introductions. I'm Julina. I'm a student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. It's pretty great here. I love the people and the environment, and even though the classes are massive, they're generally interresting. Note that I said generally. I somehow can't bring myself to enjoy sitting through biology 100. It's just not interresting. Confusing sure, but maybe that's just me.

I recently took a career/personality assessment test to see what I would be good at, since I had no idea what I wanted to major in. I took it online and then, 4 days later, talked to a psychiatrist about my results, all for $7! (They say anywhere else it would've been something like $45-$75 to take this test...) Anyways, my highest "themes" were Social, Enterprising, and Artistic. My top 5 strong occupations are 1)Religion and Spirituality (still trying to figure out what exactly that means) 2)Counseling and Helping 3)Sales 4)Teaching and Educating and 5)Human Resources and Training. As for occupations, out of the top 10, the ones that interrested me were #1) Elementary School teacher, #4)Speech Pathologist #5)Social Worker and #6)Retail Sales representative (I've already got the MaryKay thing goin for me). As for personal preferences, "I am likely to prefer working with people, I seem to prefer learning by doing (vs. learning by book), I am probably comfortable both leading by example and taking charge (not so much, but that's what the test said), I may dislike taking risks, and I probably enjoy both team roles and independent roles." So after taking this test, I've realized why I don't like maths and sciences... I'm a people person. wierd. So I'm thinking I'm either going to major in Elementary Education or Social Work. Or Psychology. But there's more sciences in there than I'd like to think about right now. At least now I have more of an idea of where I want to go. That's comforting.

So enough of my random strands of thought... You'll notice my mind does that a lot. I have absolutely no idea who will end up reading any of this, if anyone does at all. So for now, I think I'll leave it here and see when I want to update again.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Let me be the first to post...great blog! I think people who do this find it very theraputic in some way. I hope you'll enjoy this. :)

barlows said...

Okay, Dave and I are confused. . . are you pregnant or were you just really into your class studies OR did you hurt your back? Ya, you know the Garrard ladies already have your blog saved in our favorites, so don't leave us hangin' - post often. Loves to ya! PS. Don't even get me started on your weather up there!

Stac said...

Hey, It was fun to read your blog and even though I am not a Garrard by blood, only marriage I am excited to see that you have started blogging. Welcome to the Blogging World. Have fun!